Monday, July 7, 2008

The perils of eating "freshly picked"


Ahhh.....probably from the fresh corn I got today-the guy told me he had just picked it from the field. Emma and I took a trip down to Pungo to go blueberry pickin'! Its about a 1/2 drive down there which seems like eons nowadays. I used to drive an hour to go to the mall when we lived in Ohio but now anything over 20 minutes is a hike LOL.



It was a walk to where you parked your car from where you pick and of course, I forgot the camera in the car and there was no way I was walking back in the heat to get it. I don't think you can tell from the pic but Emma has blueberry all over her face LOL. She wasn't the best helper-she had her own bucket and would pick about 3 or 4 into the bucket, eat them, and start all over again. And if I got too close to where she was picking (and putting them in my basket), she would push me away and try to reclaim those berries!
She had a good time sans sunscreen, which I also forgot at home and stayed close the entire time. We went to Pungo Blueberries Ect., where they also have BLACKBERRIES! By the time we were done picking our 2.6 pounds of berries, I knew better and called it a day. These are the pics after we were done (with the camera that was baking in the car).
I filled up another one of these size containers, plus a smaller one. Muffins are now baking in the oven.
I did end up buying some sweet corn and already picked blackberries at Henleys Farm my local Pungo standby and this is where I probably got my stowaway. About 3 or 4 years ago, I was in blackberry heaven and took a bite of one (these are huge) and when I looked at the half-bitten berry, there was a half of a grub squirming out....the other half was already in my stomach. From there on, I only eat blackberries in one bite so if there is something alive still in it, I don't want to know about it.
All in all, it wasn't too bad of a Monday!

1 comment:

Amber Schmidt said...

yet another reason I am not a veggies fan... that makes me my skin crawl! But man... LOVE me some blueberry muffins!